Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Lollapalooza 1991 Revisited for Time Out Chicago


Illustration for this week's Time Out Chicago. Perry Farrell was being interviewed relived some of his favorite Lollapalooza moments, which I was asked to illustrate. Two of which were lifting weights with Henry Rollins and hanging out with Ice-T (and his band Body Count.)

During my initial sketches, I included Perry in the scenes. The art director mentioned there would be a big photo of Perry, we wouldn't need Perry in them. Not a problem, it ended up making these stronger pieces in the long run.

This was my first commissioned pieces where I started playing with texture more in the finals. Also playing with the contrast a bit more. I've already done 6 commissioned pieces with this new textured feel and pretty happy with them all (and the ADs as well.)

I guess it's not that much different than my previous work but always a little scary when you're tweaking your style.

No comments:

About Me

Clients include: Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Los Angeles Times, ESPN, Fast Company, WIRED UK.